Monday, March 8, 2010

Why Get Up?

Ah, the sheer joy of lazing around in bed while the rest of the world is up and running! My classes had concluded yesterday, and I was just savoring the very 1st day of my study leave. I love these Study Hols, simply because they translate into umpteen time to unwind.


While the gentle breeze caresses me and the warm sunlight breaks through the window slits to fall on my body, Rohan wrecks havoc in the tranquil atmosphere. He derives immense joy and pleasure in his attempts to arouse me from each of my late-morning sojourns. Unable to bear his constant poking and tickling, I finally rise, only to witness a shocker, “What are those piles doing here?” I shriek, pointing to the heaps of garbage on my desk. “Those, my dear Bro, are the remnants of your defenestration drive”, retorts the little pest. He is right. For the past 2 days, I have been busy moving things from my study table, which had begun resembling a mini Mt.Everest. “Fine, I will clear everything this evening”, I manage, only to hear, “That’s what you’ve said yesterday and the day before that, right?” “Rohan, don’t act smart, or I will…” comes my empty threat. “Oh ho, what will you do, hit me eh? Come on, try…” he teases, poking me again.


Though I want to bash him, I never do, because he’s still the cute little toy that my parents gifted me when I was 5 years old. And to get his way, he unfailingly resorts to taking advantage of my weakness, tickling. I sense the atmosphere to be hostile, and without any other option, I make a ground-breaking decision. Nikhil Mundra, the President of the Procrastination association, is finally going to beautify his table! I almost dial the Dept. of Posts to issue a stamp commemorating the event!


With a heavy heart and under the close surveillance of taskmaster Rohan, I set about the arduous and seemingly impossible task. And boy, do I do it in style! By the time my American counterparts are getting up, I restructure everything into 5 polythene bags. The table now looks like the neat and clean answer-sheet I had submitted in my last model exam. “There you are, I’ve kept my word”, I announce triumphantly. “But the trash in still here”, he shouts, visibly irritated. “You wanted the table to be spick-and-span, and I’ve done just that. So don’t fret, take a chill-pill and let me enjoy my holidays”, I snap back, switching on the TV set to catch up on the cricketing action. Fuming, Rohan marches out of the room, while I cheer India against Timbuktu. Good times are here again :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment