Friday, August 19, 2011

A New Member

From the time I was born, my mother used to tell me how there was this family who absolutely loved her. They visited and interacted with her regularly, and though they could not comprehend her language, the affection they showered on her was something she could never forget. But after she was forced to leave her home due to societal pressures, she lost all contact with them. Being a single mother had its share of trouble, but she carried on bravely despite having to struggle to make ends meet. It was only after she found her health completely failing her that she decided I needed a permanent home. And she knew just the right persons who would take care of me - she told me how to get to the family. As I bore a striking resemblance to her, she said they would immediately accept me. And with this assurance, I set off.

Following my tremendous sense of direction, my nimble feet reached the family's home at the far end of the city. I was quite anxious - what if they fail to recognize me? But despite all my apprehensions, my childishness suggested I make a dramatic entry. Perching myself on top of a tin roof in the adjacent abandoned house, I started crying for help. I did this all morning, and just as I was beginning to lose hope, a portly man came out of the house along with a youngster. Ah, my efforts had finally paid off! Looking over the wall, the boy reminisced how I looked just like my mother. They asked me if I would like to come home, and nodding vigorously, how I wished I could inform my mother that I was in safe hands now!

Slowly but surely, I began to get acquainted with my new home. Every day, I would roam about the house nonchalantly, inspecting every nook and corner, hoping to discover something exciting. When that tired me, I would sleep wherever I liked - on the bed, the chair, or even on the floor! Though initially they were quite amused by this attitude of mine, I can tell they have grown used to it by now.

All the family members enjoy spending time with me - whether it’s running round the house, playing or just lazing around. Though they have given me complete freedom (I indulge in my non-veg fantasies only behind their backs, but I’m sure they are aware of it!) the family is extremely protective about me. Dad heads the search operations whenever I am slightly off schedule from my evening sojourns. Being the youngest in the family has its advantages, and I am only too happy to bask in their attention.

It's been over a year at their home, and I can easily claim to have become the apple of the family's eye. Though occasionally one of them comes up with the absurd suggestion that I have grown spoilt, I immediately snuggle up to him/her to settle it in my favour! I always want to thank them for accepting someone from such a different background with such an open heart. I want to tell dad to stop fussing over me so much, mom that I love the way you call me, the younger brother to give me more of those massages, the elder brother to catch up with my agility, grandmom that I love those ball-games we play, and a big sorry to granddad for jumping over his bed so often. Ah, there's such a lot that I want to convey to them, but all I can manage to say is "Meow"!

2 comments: