Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fate


“24, 25, 26… Ah, 26A, that’s it”, thought Hari, as he walked down the aisle to locate his seat. He was on his way to Chennai, and with the food at the Delhi airport being pretty awful, hoped that the on-flight meals were as good as they looked in their glossy magazines.

“Excuse me, Sir, I’ll just move in… yes, thank you”. Hari was glad that he had got the window seat. It was not often that he flew, so the pleasure sitting in the huge man-made bird and viewing the earth from the skies was something he cherished.

The flight took off, and Hari began reading one of those historical thrillers that had flooded the market ever since The Da Vinci Code took the world by storm. Sometime later he purchased dinner, thinking aloud how a sandwich worth Rs.25 on ground cost 7 times as much in the sky. “Perhaps because the flight journey is capable of transcending the 7 seas”, he wondered, smiling inwardly at that bad joke. Collecting the balance due, he was about to start when his neighbour, a middle-aged gentleman, tried to strike up a conversation.

“You are a numismatist, aren’t you?”

“Why yes, but how can you say?”

“That’s easy - I am a palmist and a face-reader. Not a professional, only a hobbyist”

“Or it could be that you just noticed the detailed manner in which I examined the coin the airhostess gave me!”

“Alright, so you don’t believe me, but do you have any faith in these paranormal sciences?”

“Yes, I do. Astrology, Palmistry and the like do help giving an idea about one’s life, but that doesn’t mean I would accept that you read my face to infer I collect coins.”

“That’s okay, but if I read your palm with some degree of accuracy, would you then believe in my art?”

“Sure, please go ahead”, Hari said, stretching out his right palm.

“Let’s start. You are 23 years of age, right?”

“That’s on my flight ticket, sir.”

“Yes, but the fact that you’re a resident of Mathura isn’t”

Hari’s eyes widened. The man was right, his hometown was Mathura. But he maintained his composure.

“Yes sir, you’re right. What else can you tell me?”

“Looking at your life line, I can see that you have been a resident of many cities. Your father must have been in the armed forces, is it not?”

Another true fact – Hari’s dad was a Captain in the Navy. Now his curiosity piqued, and he asked the palmist to go ahead.

“Your education line is very strong, and that indicates a good learning career. You have been a topper in every school you went to. Also, the straight path that the line takes indicates a highly analytical bent of mind, and being an outstanding student, you must have been educated at ICE, the premier Engineering college of the nation.”

This was getting better with every minute, and Hari now began to develop considerable faith in the man’s ability.

“The mounds of Saturn at the top of your palm indicate an achiever in all domains, and with the intertwining of your head and education lines, I can infer that you have a literary bent of mind. Maybe a good poet or a gifted writer?”

Hari concurred. He had always been an active participant in both fields, and longed to hear what else the man had to say.

“This small line that runs parallel to your heart line indicates a strong physical sense of being. Were you actively involved in any sport during your schooling/college, and went on to represent your institution at the national level?”

“Sir, this is truly flabbergasting. I am amazed at your deep understanding of the science. I did play badminton at the Interstate meets for 3 years. I believe in your command of palmistry, and since I am now at a crucial juncture of my life, I would be very grateful if you could also tell me something about my future” he asked anxiously.

The palmist took some time to deliberate, delving into the intricacies of the lines on Hari’s hand, and trying to concentrate on what the possibility could be. Finally he said, “Well Hari, from what I can see, all I can say is that just stay true to yourself, and you will sail through”

That left him flummoxed, but he dared not press further. The flight landed, and the two of them went their way, promising to keep in touch as all casual travel-acquaintances do.

========

“Good Morning Ma’am, may I come in?”

The panel was 3-member strong, and after exchanging a few pleasantries, Hari was offered a seat. One of the chairs was empty, and Hari was told that the fourth panel member was on his way. Just as he began answering the preliminary questions and attempted at making himself comfortable, the door opened and a familiar voice threw him off-guard.

"So, Mr.Sadu, in your impressive video resume that I was going through a couple of days back, you describe yourself as being rational and a firm disbeliever in the occult sciences. Can you please elaborate?"

No comments:

Post a Comment