Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Picture-Perfect


Rajeev was fixing his camera lens when a muffled knock caught his attention. He opened the door to usher in a tall, well built man with a deep complexion, who must have been around 50 years of age. Before Rajeev could notice the other person following him, the tall man spoke up.

"I wish to get some photos of mine clicked", he said, with an air of regality about him.

"With pleasure sir. And you?" he asked the other short lean man.

"Oh he is my accountant" the old man stepped in. Looking around, he tried to make polite conversation. "So how is business these days, son?"

"Not good sir. People rarely visit the studio. With almost everyone having a fancy mobile phone or a digital camera, they click thousands of photos, but seldom get them printed. I feel the whole charm of preserving memories and the romance of looking at an old photo album is completely lost."

While Rajeev was lamenting the state of his trade, the customer, who had seated himself now, tried to bring in some cheer. "You take wonderful photos. The Qutb Minar in all its splendour here, that innocent face there, the pigeons expressing their freedom of flight in that one, all clicked so beautifully. Your parents must be very proud."

"Thank you sir, I wish they are, because I did not get to see much of them. They died in a car accident when I was five. For twenty years now, I have been with my uncle, though he and aunty do appreciate my work." 

"Oh, I'm sorry. It's commendable that you have tried to make a mark for yourself. Used the negatives and made your life into a nice picture, just like a camera film" They got down to business, Rajeev making an effort to get the best out of a plain looking face. The gentleman, who looked happy, seemed to have begun to take a liking for Rajeev. 

"So tell me, I've heard this from other photographers, but have you ever wished to photograph yourself?"

"Of course sir. This is one of the things I've always wished to do. I've tried with different camera angles, the automatic mode, in front of the mirror, etc. But it never works out correctly. The photographer's perspective is forever missing"

"It's all in the mind, son. I've practiced Yoga and Meditation for many years now, and with the mind's power, you can make things happen. Come, let me help you. Get your camera ready and close your eyes. Just concentrate on your desire to take your own photo. Without opening your eyes, tell me what happens after 10 minutes"

Rajeev looked puzzled, but did as told. 5 minutes later, nothing happened. 7,8... still a blank vision. Then, slowly, a hazy picture of him standing in the studio began to appear, leading to a crystal clear picture of his visage.

"Sir, this is amazing! I can actually see myself!" Rajeev couldn't hold back his emotions. 

"Enjoy the moment son, you never know what tomorrow holds. Click as many photos as you like. Think of a surrounding, say snowy hills, a lake, or anywhere you wish to be. Focus for some time, and you will be set in that place. Try it"

The young photographer thought of a place close to his heart, where he had gone as a child and longed to go again atleast once in his lifetime. And he focused. After a couple of minutes, he was there, right in front of his village temple. He motioned his hand to ring the temple bell; it appeared to have been so. He visualized himself standing outside the gates, and clicked some photos. He also made a few poses in the studio setting and clicked. Happy with all this, he opened his eyes.

And they met the eyes of the accountant, who presented a white sheet of paper to him.

"Ah, so you are making sketches of people as usual, is it?" the tall man asked, peeping into the sheet. 

"Yes sir", confessed the accountant. "Mr.Rajeev, it is my hobby to make sketches of people that show their qualities. But as my drawing is a bit sketchy, I do this secretly", he said, smiling sheepishly.

Rajeev was too overwhelmed by the vision occurrence to say anything, and accepted the portrait.

“Tell you what, I am planning to leave in a couple of hours to a very scenic hillstation. It’s called Akayama, literally meaning sky/heaven. Come join me Rajeev. I am sure you can do with a break and will get many occasions to click beautiful pictures there”, proposed the elderly man.

“Well thanks a lot for your kind offer sir. But I think I should be finishing up the pending work here. Don’t wish to leave things undone”, Rajeev said, and started making a formal invoice. "So, an hour it is. And the booking is in the name of... Oh I'm sorry, I completely forgot to ask your name sir"

"Vedamay"

"Mr.Vedamay... and surname?"

"Just one name, son. There is nothing before or after me. And I can't give a contact number as I am travelling all the time. But I shall return in an hour"

"Right sir. It has really been a pleasure meeting both of you. I feel so relaxed and happy today. The photos will be ready when you’re back."

Rajeev waved them goodbye to get back to his work. On his way out, he noticed  Mr.Vedamay petting a black buffalo, but not thinking much of it, came back into the shop and gave the images he had just clicked for print...

========  

The obituary column in the next day’s newspaper carried the photo of one Rajeev Sharma, Proprietor of Beautiful Studio. The image looked like having been clicked inside the studio, and the face seemed to have an air of contentment…

=========

Vedamay -> Yamadev, God of Death, who rides a Black buffalo

Accountant who sketches secretly -> Chitragupt (Chitra -> picture/photo), Gupt (secret)

3 comments: