Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thoughts at Play

me: I've written the start of another story, but just left it midway :( This is the 3rd one in this week. Why can't I get to complete things?

Ravi: Oh really? What's it about?


me: Ah leave it. I am just not in the mood to discuss the story. Feel so bad for not completing it!


Ravi: Why don't you take a walk? Maybe the fresh air will do you some good.


me: Hmmm yeah maybe I should... Will catch up later, bye!



Poorna closed her browser window and shut down her laptop. Perhaps Ravi was right, the hostel atmosphere might be getting onto her and affecting her writing. Her roommate Tamanna was still asleep, so she quietly shut the door behind her and took the stairs, on her way to the park near the campus.

And it was just near the park gate that Poorna stopped in her tracks. Right in front of her, next to the entrance door, was the girl she had visualized. The same long brown hair, black eyes and cute little dimples. She was even wearing the Nike Sweatshirt and the pair of sandals that Poorna had written about. The same broad smile, that very lost look, and standing right at the same place. For once, Poorna thought she was dreaming. Was this really the Zahira she was writing about? Only one way to find out, she thought. She went up to the girl, whose back was turned towards her, and tapped gently on her shoulder.

"Excuse me, are you looking for someone?", ventured Poorna

"No. Actually I just came by to this park. In fact, to think of it, I don't know what I am doing here", the girl replied. 

"That's funny. By any chance is your name Zahira?" tried Poorna

"Yes, but I haven't ever met you before. How do you know me?" said a startled Zahira

"Well, it's a long story, and I don't know whether you'll believe me. I like to write, and this morning when I sat down, I wrote about a chirpy girl called Zahira who fits your description perfectly. And she comes to this park, but after that, I just didn't know how to take the story forward. Whether she had come there to meet someone, or just to relax and soak in the sun, I couldn't figure out a proper continuation."

"You mean I am a character you thought of?" Zahira asked, completely flabbergasted.

"Ironically, it does seem so. I have been writing many such starts these days, but haven't got any of them completed. Was getting frustrated sitting in the hostel, so one of my friends suggested I take a walk to get some fresh air. I come to the park and find you, an exact replica of my creation, and in a sort of suspended state without knowing what to do, just as I left the story!"

"Hey, this is hardly believable. Why are we even talking? And what's your name?"

"I'm Poorna, but tell me, how else can it be explained? The same face, clothes, and in the same situation, it can't be such a big coincidence. Oh God, what have I been doing? The other day I wrote a paragraph about this beggar lying unconscious on the road, and on last Sunday I had started out on this nice guy from Kolkata who goes to meet his parents by train, but I didn't complete that piece as well. Anyway Zahira, it was nice meeting you. I am going back to my room to give your story a nice twist. Perhaps you'll meet the love of your life in the park in sometime! After that, I'll get working on the others and make sure everything is a happy ending"

And saying so, Poorna made a dash for her hostel.

====================

"Rahul, the chapter is done!", Anwesha hollered over to her fiance.

"Oh that's great! How did you go about it?", Rahul asked, coming over to her side.

"I just made Poorna meet one of her own creations who was stuck, and thus got her to realize that she was leaving characters suspended in time. Now she'll make sure she doesn't leave things midway in the future, and that can be the foundation for her ending up creating many more reveling stories. Tell you what, I am in the mood to celebrate. Why don't we try out this new Chinese restaurant near the beach, I love oriental food!"

"We could do that for sure. I am wondering, how empowered someone must feel to to be able to change what people think and do just with a stroke of the pen! Anyway, where's this new Chinese place you're talking about?"

"Yeah, fun, isn't it? Chinese? Yuck, no, I hate Chinese! Let's go for Tandoori!"

6 comments:

  1. Your stories never fail to amuse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story machi... By the way what happened to Anwesha and Rahul, are they struck in the beach side restuarant?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muzammil! Haha No, they try out the Tandoori restaurant instead :)

      Delete
  3. hey nice story... : )
    n sometimes I just wonder y u ditched baby PINK for orange in the background!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ankita! Haha, the only constant in this world is change :)

      Delete